Thursday, December 14, 2017

Commitment to Our Community

In November when we held our largest community conversation to date called From Poverty to Possibilities, my team and I were thrilled by the resounding support of the community who turned out to join us in our fight to tackle poverty.
 
We had a fantastic group of panelists, a dynamic moderator, a riveting keynote speaker and a heartbreakingly honest account of the real struggles faced by a woman named Anita, who is on her way to living the life she has dreamed of but never thought she would achieve.
 
There were some hard conversations. The war on poverty is decades old and fighting it is arduous work, but communities across the country are making progress. The causes of poverty are complex and varied. A poor economy, lack of affordable housing, low paying jobs, drug use, lack of education, medical expenses...there isn't one root cause and there isn't a silver bullet that will solve it.
 
The discussions were exciting and the ideas flowed around key topics that included systems change, human-centered design, cross-sector partnerships and resources. Now the really hard work begins: to create an agenda around ACTION. I have never been more filled with a sense of purpose and the promise that there is hope on the horizon.   
 
We really are at our best when we bring leaders from across the community working together to create lasting change. I hope that in some way this forum served as a catalyst to create deep and lasting changes, eliminating the barriers that one in three of our households face each day. I think that's what I love best about being part of the United Way movement. 
 
By working to promote and provide opportunities for even greater community engagement, we are fostering collaborations of businesses, non-profits and community leaders.  We're mobilizing the full breadth of our community's assets: people, knowledge, relationships, technology and money to fully realize our goal to lift 15,000 families out of poverty by 2028.
 
Being part of a community is a powerful thing and can have a tremendous impact on our lives. Through collaboration, understanding and a willingness to help, I believe our community will flourish. Thankfully, I have a dedicated staff and board of directors who share my belief. And last month, more than 200 people who attended the summit showed that they are committed as well.
 
By collaborating with experts, raising resources and focusing on key initiatives, we will end poverty, one family at a time. At United Way we are tackling the issue on three fronts:
  1.  Building Strong Families that can become financially stable
  2.  Ensuring that more Successful Kids can thrive in school and life
  3.  Facilitating Stable Individuals who can access basic needs
Every day I get up with a sense of purpose and a commitment to our community. For nearly 30 years, I have carried this George Bernard Shaw quote close to me and now I want to share it with you:

..."I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live..."
 
Each season has its purpose. In winter, we store energy and preserve our harvest by remembering what we've learned and appreciating what we have. I am deeply grateful to continue to learn and grow and for all that you do for United Way of Pierce County throughout the year.
 
In service and friendship,
Dona Ponepinto, President & CEO
United Way of Pierce County

No comments:

Post a Comment