Wednesday, December 6, 2017

An Act of Goodness

A few weeks ago, we heard a story from Karen, one of the volunteers at Food for Backpacks out on the Key Peninsula. Simple act of goodness mean so much and we wanted to share this short but sweet note we got from Karen.

“I hesitated when you asked me to take the big square samples of bed toppers and guess what happened? I picked up a young man walking in the rain while delivering Gifts in Kind “goodies,” and carefully asked some questions. 

I ended up taking him to a place where we store emergency food.  We filled a box of food and then I took him to his camping space--likely squatting on some unknown person’s property in the woods.  As we were unloading his provisions, I asked if he needed a towel and the response was an enthusiastic yes, he would love to have a towel. 

Since he was living in a tent, I asked him if he was warm enough, and he reluctantly replied that he was not.  I handed him a beautiful comforter set and his eyes were as big as saucers and his response was, “really?” 

As I drove down the road, I remembered those 3 square bed topper samples you asked me to take.  I turned around and went back to the woods and handed them to him and, excitedly, he said, “My missus is going to love these”…followed by, “You are so kind.”

As I finished my drop offs to people in need, I thought, that this is what Gifts In Kind is all about-- making people happy and comfortable, regardless of their situation.  Today was a happy day.  The van was empty, yet I was filled with the sense of good things happening in our community.  Thank you for making all of this happen.  We are making a difference.”

United Way’s Gifts in Kind is a year-round program, but as the holidays approach, we know that too many children will miss out of what many kids consider the best time of year. While we cannot pick up holiday gifts, we are accepting donations of toys, books, games of gifts cards from November 28-December 14 o Tuesdays through Thursday from 8am to 3pm.


‘Do Gooders’ of all ages are welcome to bring comfort and happiness to others in the form of gifts in kind. To learn more, contact Phyllis at 253-597-7485 or via phyllisr@uwpc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment