Friday, August 7, 2009

How Much Does It Cost? Back to School Part 2 of 4

by Linda

It’s been a long time since I went shopping for school supplies. Some things never change like #2 pencils, wide ruled paper, Elmer’s glue … clothes styles have changed, yet the 80’s look seems to be back in vogue. Prices are reasonable, if you can sweet talk your student in line with your budget. I shopped for two virtual students and here’s what I found.

Elizabeth is a third grader at Firgrove Elementary, home of the Hawks! Her school list was relatively short and some items were easy to find and cost just pennies to buy. Elizabeth’s school supplies came to $48.74, without tax. I was surprised at the cost. I thought I was being frugal. I can still remember the first time one of my sons came home with Kleenex on his school list. The next year, you supplied scissors, pencils, pens, etc. and the teacher gathered all of the supplies and doled then out as needed. I learned not to spend too much to individualize their supplies.

I had fun shopping for an first day outfit for Elizabeth! I bought a pair of jeans, leggings, socks, shoes, underwear and a cute top for $45.00, without tax. I looked for a warm coat for her, but, they’re not available yet. I picked up a heavy, hooded jacket for $24.99, bringing my grand total to: $69.99, without tax. For Elizabeth to walk into her third grade class this fall, I would have paid $118.73 – with tax, about $130.00.

Chris will step into the halls of Stahl Junior High, home of the Storm, this fall. It’s critical to look cool in Junior High. Your peers judge how you look that first day – so, finding the right backpack and right jeans were my first move. The right size backpack, able to hold almost all of your books, requires spending a little more. Often, you don’t have time to stop at your locker, so you cram all of your books and stuff into your backpack and lug it around all day. P.E. uniforms, scientific calculator, graph paper … the dollars add up quickly. If you play an instrument, then there’s the monthly rental and possibly private lessons. I figured Chris would need a thumb drive to take his work from a study lab to the library where he could print out his finished work. Even if Chris did not have a computer at home, he could store most of his homework on his thumb drive. I found a 4 giga-byte, USB 2.0 drive for $12.99 at Office Max. That’s a great price! Chris' school supplies came to $137.98, without tax.

Jeans, socks, a cool shirt and tee, athletic shoes, heavy, fleece, hooded jacket came to $85.97, minus tax. Chris' first day at Stahl Junior High would cost $223.95 – with tax, about $245.00. I found out that the first day Chris will have to pay $20 for his ASB/Yearbook package and if he plays in any sport, there’s another $30 athletic transportation fee that his family will have to pay for each sport. That doesn’t include the cost of school pictures or the Annual/ID card. If Chris wants to play a sport, he needs to have a sports physical.


Let’s see, for Elizabeth – $130.00. For Chris - $265 PLUS. Wow!!! In all of this, I haven’t forgotten that Elizabeth needs an emergency kit. Both Albertson’s and Safeway sell emergency kits for about $8.00 during September and October. Her total goes up to $138.00.

I’m exhausted … my virtual shopping eyes are tired and I’ve spent $403.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment