Thursday, February 11, 2016

LIL Readers & Miss Vera

By: Cristiana Ventura, Resource Development and Marketing Intern

The LIL Readers program is a partnership between the United Way of Pierce County and the Pierce County Library. LIL Readers volunteer at small, in-home child care centers to help with story time and activities for about an hour every other week. Program goals include building listening skills, comprehension and vocabulary.


As adults, we read to learn.
When did that start? Perhaps 3rd or 4th grade?
But we couldn't read to learn if we didn't first learn to read.


In Pierce County, 2 in 5 children entering kindergarten are not ready for school. Research shows that 85% of a child's brain development occurs before age 5. In fact, United Way Impact shares that young minds struggle with social skills, early reading and even language. And for kids in poverty, there are even greater gaps.

By going directly into low-income daycares, LIL Readers are able to share the excitement of reading with young minds. When modeling reading and showing how important reading is, children are influenced to seek these literacy skills themselves.


Vera just began her journey as a LIL Reader. Here is her experience so far:

"On January 27, 2015 I began a wonderful journey of reading to children at a local in-home daycare.  I visit one day every other week and would love for it to be even more often.  The children look forward to my visits and let me know by saying “Miss Vera’s here!  Miss Vera’s here!”  I look forward to our reading times more than I can express.  I am always on the lookout for a book that I think the children will love.  The children interact with every story and I’ve found that they love mysteries.  They love the stories that ask them to respond.  It’s hard to believe that a year has gone by already.  I intend to continue sharing stories at this day care for as long as they’ll let me.  I am very lucky indeed." -Vera, LIL Reader








No comments:

Post a Comment