Friday, January 15, 2016

Strong Families: Marisol

Marisol had just moved to Washington from New Jersey and needed help. Not only was she suffering with domestic violence herself, her daughter had growing mental disabilities that needed attention.

Being new to the area and completely alone, she had no idea where to turn to for support. One day while riding the city bus, a women reached out her.

“It’s like she could tell that I was sad and needed help,” Marisol recalled. “She told me that if I needed anything at all I should call 2-1-1 and they could find what I was looking for.”

Although Marisol felt ashamed to ask for help at first, she gave them a call. 2-1-1 changed everything for her. They set her up with organizations that could help her daughter, and got Marisol connected with support groups for those who had gone through domestic violence.

“I can’t believe I was ashamed to make the call. I am so grateful for all of their help; they got me back on my feet and helped me grow to the person I am today.” 

Stories like Marisol's happen every day in Pierce County. Making a call to South Sound 2-1-1 is easy and extremely helpful. Do you know someone who is in need of assistance but is overwhelmed and doesn't know where to start? Help them get back on their feet simply by referring them to the number "2-1-1" 

Click here for more information about South Sound 2-1-1, its database, and resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment