Saturday, September 6, 2014

What I Didn't Know as the Parent of a Young Student

by: Nola Renz, Community Impact Manager for Early Grade Excellence

When I was the parent of a young student I didn't
know or understand the importance of attendance and that consistent attendance, starting in the early grades and continuing on through high school, really does matter.

I didn't know that...
My child could suffer academically if they missed 10%, or just 18 school days each year. Even in Kindergarten, First and Second grade this impacts their ability to learn.

I didn't know that...
·        It doesn't matter whether the absences are excused or unexcused. They all represent lost time in the classroom and lost opportunities to learn.

I didn't know that...
·        Attendance matters as early as Kindergarten. Studies show many children who miss too many days of Kindergarten and First Grade struggle academically in later years.

I didn't know that...
·        Preschool is a great time to start building the habit of good attendance. Studies show that poor attendance in preschool can predict absenteeism in later grades.

I didn't know that...
·        By Middle and High School, chronic absence is a leading sign that a student will drop out.

I didn't know that...
·        Too many absent students can affect the whole classroom, slowing down instruction and learning.


Now I want to make sure that parents of young children understand how important attendance is and how much it can affect their child’s future. Let’s all work together to share this message. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete