Thursday, July 9, 2009

How Do You LIVE UNITED? Kenna Little

One dirty shirt. It was the source of much amusement and an inspiration for many jokes over the course of my two weeks in Bolivia this past October with the non-profit Etta Projects. A few days into the trip, I realized that many of my once white t-shirts had turned a light shade of brown in certain spots. Everyone else in the group seemed so clean in comparison while my clothes were getting darker by the day. At first, I was embarrassed by my uncanny ability to attract dirt until I realized where it came from.

My mom and I had the opportunity to work in a small town called Betania, about an hour from our home city of Montero for two days. The first day a young boy named Lili ran up to me, grabbed my hand, and wrapped me in an amazing hug. His head came up to my stomach and as he let go and I looked down to talk to him, I noticed that his little dirty head had left an imprint on the front of my shirt. Lili became a constant companion and remained by my side for the rest of my time in Betania, leaving smudges of dirt all over the bottom of my shirt.

Those two days changed my perspective on the dirt. Instead of something to be embarrassed of, it was something to be treasured. It was a tangible reminder of all the memories from the trip. There was the ring of dirt around the bottom of my shirt to show the countless number of hugs I received from the children. A spot on the back where one of the teachers from Betania gave me an appreciative pat on the back to say thank you for teaching the children of the village, as well as their parents, for a day. The light coat of brown that covered the entire shirt came from sitting on the ground joking with the children in Spanish as dust storms covered us. A few spots of paint to remember the day the kids painted carved wooden cars. And the dirty sleeves are a result of the many taps I received on my shoulders as kids proudly showed their artwork. Each speck of dirt held more meaning then I could have ever imagined and once I realized this, whenever I would look down at my shirt I would start to smile.

Although my shirt was absolutely disgusting by the end of the trip and I received some well-deserved teasing from the group for still wearing it, it became a symbol of the experience. It is covered in memories that I will never forget. During the time in Bolivia, I imagined how nice it would feel to slip into a pair of jeans and a clean t-shirt. But now back in my clean clothes, I miss that dirt and where it came from. I cannot wait until I have the opportunity to return and dirty another shirt.

Kenna is a recent graduate of Curtis High School, a Willie Stewart Scholarship winner, a 4-time Varsity Letter in Community Service recipient and just one example of how youth are LIVING UNITED.

No comments:

Post a Comment